Skip to main content

I believe in the Klamath County Record Weekly Street Paper

I believe in the Klamath County Record Weekly Street Paper


KLAMATH FALLS, OR— Walk in their shoes for a while and see what it is like

Steve Morris Founder and CEO of Inspiring Healthcare Resources has it right when getting people to work on your team. As you are a team, working together with the same goals in mind. Not my goals or your goals, but our goals. Steve Morris mentioned at a meeting that some of the employees that came to work at his company would bring with them the way they did things at the their other company. The baggage of "how it was always done". (Which, I have been guilty of the very same thing, a time or two myself.) That is experience, but leadership is yet another thing. And are completely two different things.

As a leader, I am able to spot problems before they become a problem later on down the road. For me, I don't need someone to come in and try and tell me how to exercise a program, I started, and how I want to do it.

Not, how they want to do it or organize it in their image, of what they think, it should be or become in their vision. In other words, it will not be as successful without them, as it could be with them. Baloney. If that being the case, then they need to go and start their own program where they can do it their way, and see what happens?

Like Steve Morris mentioned in a meeting. These people who bring their past experience of how they have done it before, now want to do it that way in your company, or organization. That is just not going to work, as I have a different vision than they do, for what I am planning, and I don't have to write it down, or organize it, or pre-plan anything in a fashion that is acceptable to their way of thinking or doing things. No thank you, as that is not how I do things.

And with people like that, they will never be happy, until you do it the way they want or envision it to be done. Not going to happen with me. And like Steve Morris mentioned also, it is best to cut the ties early, as it won't get any better down the road, and it will end up being just a thorn in your side, or until they are gone and no longer a part of your organization, or company that they should have never been there in the first place. Their experience might be in the right place, but not the passion to do it your way. Instead they want to do it their way or they will never be satisfied or happy in the program or organization you are building your way, not their way.

Steve Morris also mentioned, you don't have to have a business plan in order for it to work or be a success. Just know where you are going and get there and the rest will be history.

Like Steve Morris and look what he built, Inspiring Healthcare Resources. And what David the founder, manager, and co-owner of Rodeos Pizza & Saladeria and with his wife Nell have accomplished.

I my youth or younger days. I was New Car Get Ready Manager for Felix Chevrolet in 1979. I had 10 porters under me that I was their boss and I was this young white guy and I was younger than the majority of them that worked for me. Mostly Hispanic and one elderly black gentlemen. He was the buffer for the cars that needed detailed. And I would always ask him out of respect, if he would do me a favor. When I was given orders to get something done on the lot or a car needed to be detailed. I treated him as the rest of us would like to be treated, with respect, caring and love. And he would do more for me than you can imagine and all I had to do was ask him. When he passed away, I went out of respect to his funeral as I was invited by his wife to a black church in downtown Los Angeles and I was the only white guy there.

Treating others with respect is the key and that went the same for the rest of the porters under me. Not to tell them or order them to do something. It is not the way to do it, but to ask them to do something for you out of respect, caring and love.

The same with the homeless on the streets, I fit in with them, because I understand some of the homeless, as to where they are coming from and what they are going through. Because I have been there, and until you have, you have, you have no idea what it is really like to be homeless. You think you do, but you don't.

It is not easy sometimes to get them to share with you, but it is the only way others can see them too. And through the videos people can see them on the street and stop and say hello to them and treat them as people and not homeless on the street.

That is one of the main reasons for the Klamath County Record Weekly Street Paper. So that in the future if people see them on the street selling the paper they will not fear them and come up and talk to them and find out who they are and what their plans are for their futures, and to get to know some of the homeless among us by helping them to help themselves. Instead of looking down on them all the time.

My heart and soul is in the project to get it off the ground, not to help me but to help them get back on track and on their feet. And knowing they did it themselves by working at the goal of working for themselves and not getting hand outs that people seem to think that is all they want from others. They just want a little helping hand to open the doors to their futures of being just like you and I again.

If a person sees a homeless person at the library. Take a moment of your time and say hello to them. You might meet a new friend and you may find you have a lot more in common than you thought, other than they are homeless and you are not.

Don't look down on them, treat them as you would a friend or a relative. Someone you care about. Walk in their shoes for a while and see what it is like and you may have a different outlook if you did.

Grant you there are some homeless you have to walk away from because no matter how hard you try and help them, they are not going to be happy and will want to blame you for the situation they are in, being homeless. Don't take it to heart because you cannot help everybody, but you can, one at a time.

Which leads me to another area. I met Julie Matters the project Manager for Choose Klamath and she mentioned there might be a way we could work together. When I meet a new person on the street looking for a job or employment, I could gear them in the direction of Choose Klamath. As the people there might have a better idea as to what may or may not be available and even what programs the homeless could sign up for and get the education they need to get that job to help them get off the street and back on their feet again, with their own housing, once again.

It is another door they can go through and worth their time to check it out and I will be sure and mention it as many times as I can in my travels to meet homeless people on the street in KLAMATH FALLS, OR.

James Garland of Tulelake News
Send sources on local and national news:
Email: tulelakenews@yahoo.com
Cell # (530) 708-7852

Links to all of James Garland's sites

Homeless Helping Homeless HHH.

Homeless Helping Homeless Facebook Page ---> Here

James Garland Facebook Page ---> Here

Tulelake New Times Facebook Page ---> Here

Tulelake News Facebook Page ---> Here

Tulelakenews.com Facebook Page ---> Here

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UPDATED: Youth Rising expanding its services Invisible People

Klamath County Record Weekly Street Paper 2019 KLAMATH FALLS, OR— Invisible People Press Release: Youth Rising, a local nonprofit organization dedicated to supporting youth aged 12–17 in Klamath Falls, is now in the midst of expanding its services offered at the Youth Rising Drop-In Center – with plans to open a new youth emergency housing shelter in Klamath Falls. According to new data from the National Center for Homeless Education, nearly 1.4 million U.S. students under the age of 18 are homeless, while the Klamath County school district identified approximately 292 students as homeless in 2018, according to a press release. However, these statistics underestimate the homeless youth population due to the large number of youth that may be “couch-surfing,” living in a vehicle, or with extended family. Youth homelessness is becoming increasingly prevalent among youth as young as 10-12 years, who are often faced with the terrible choice to remain in neglectful or abusive

Coming Soon Klamath Falls Weekly Street Paper

Coming Soon Klamath Falls Weekly Street Paper KLAMATH FALLS, OR— Build it and they will come Things happen for one and one reason ONLY. By believing it is possible and anything is possible for those who first believe in themselves, no matter what anyone else believes, or says. You don't answer to the doubters, you only answer to yourself. There are always doubters, and most of the time they are the very same people who have never accomplished a thing for themselves; because they gave up or did not believe that they could do it or believe in themselves enough to make it happen. Most people are all talk and with no action, and most of the time they wish they could even do half, as much as you do. Instead, they want to bring you down to their level of thinking, because they are either jeolous or have no goals set for themselves, and want to blame you for their short comings. Either you have it in you or you don't. But to sit back and complain all the time about how

For those who think all homeless are the same

New Arrivals to Klamath Falls KLAMATH FALLS, OR— All homeless are not the same. People need to educate themselves when it comes to homeless. They are not all the same and they are not all old and drug addicts and alcoholics or mentally ill. They each have their reasons as to why they are homeless and how they ended up being homeless. Yes, there are the career homeless and they choose to live that life style. But there are many others struggling each day to survive to the next, to get back on their feet, and be like the rest of us, with a roof over their heads again, to call home. I had other plans that I have put on hold for the time being, to concentrate on assisting as many homeless on the streets, that I can. I can't do it alone. I need your support and help too. Along with the homeless doing their part by selling the Klamath County Record Weekly Street Paper on the streets. And the support from the community by purchasing a copy each time they come out and are so